Having children can be one of life’s greatest gifts; however, the physical changes many women go through during pregnancy and child-rearing can be difficult to reverse with diet and exercise alone. Plastic surgeon Jon Paul Trevisani, MD can help you get back to your pre-pregnancy figure with a combination of procedures called a Mommy Makeover. This personalized treatment plan is designed to address all of your unique concerns at once, often providing a more efficient solution than undergoing numerous procedures individually. Upon a personal consultation, Dr. Jon Paul Trevisani can answer all of your questions regarding your Mommy Makeover options and work with you to achieve the results you desire.
- What is a Mommy Makeover?
- Mommy Makeover Candidates
- Mommy Makeover Benefits
- Mommy Makeover Preparation
- Mommy Makeover Procedures
- Mommy Makeover Recovery
- Mommy Makeover Results
- Mommy Makeover Scars
- Mommy Makeover Timing
- Mommy Makeover Cost
- Choosing a Mommy Makeover Surgeon
WHAT IS A MOMMY MAKEOVER?
A Mommy Makeover is a series of surgical and non-surgical treatments designed to improve the areas commonly affected by pregnancy and breastfeeding, sometimes with the goal of restoring a patient’s pre-pregnancy appearance. Depending on an evaluation of your individual concerns, a Mommy Makeover may be completed in one procedure or in multiple stages. Surgical options such as breast augmentation, breast lift, breast reduction, tummy tuck surgery, liposuction, and more can help recontour your body, rejuvenate your skin, and restore confidence in your appearance. Non-surgical facial rejuvenation is also offered for women who may see signs of exhaustion, stress, and aging in the face. If one of your objectives is to restore a brighter, more youthful appearance, cosmetic injectables such as BOTOX® Cosmetic or Dysport® can reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles and give your facial features a more refreshed look.
WHO IS A GOOD CANDIDATE FOR A MOMMY MAKEOVER?
Candidates for Mommy Makeover treatments are typically mothers who are experiencing:
- A sagging or drooping appearance in the breasts due to excess skin and fat deposits
- Excess fat and skin in the abdomen
- Fat deposits in virtually any body area that are resistant to diet and exercise
- Stretch marks
- Signs of premature aging and exhaustion
If you are interested in a Mommy Makeover, it’s important that you are relatively healthy and have realistic expectations about what the procedure can achieve. Dr. Jon Paul Trevisani will review your medical history and evaluate your concerns to determine whether you are a good candidate for a Mommy Makeover.
What Can a Mommy Makeover Accomplish?
A Mommy Makeover can help resolve a number of changes that occur in the face and body after having a child. Depending on which procedures you opt to include in your treatment plan, a Mommy Makeover can:
- Restore breast volume
- Lift and reshape the breasts
- Get rid of excess fat pockets around the abdomen, hips, thighs, arms, and/or back
- Tighten and repair abdominal muscles that were stretched from pregnancy
- Remove loose, excess skin from the abdomen
- Smooth wrinkles and reduce signs of age and exhaustion in the face
Your treatment plan will be unique to your individual concerns. As a result, the benefits of a Mommy Makeover typically vary from patient to patient.
How Do I Prepare for a Mommy Makeover?
Your consultation should give you a good idea of the steps you can take to better prepare for your Mommy Makeover. During your appointment, Dr. Jon Paul Trevisani will ensure you understand your proposed surgical timeline, as well as any pre-operative instructions that can help your recovery proceed as smoothly as possible. In general, patients planning for a Mommy Makeover should:
- Stop smoking for at least four weeks before and after surgery. Smoking can greatly increase the risk of post-surgical complications, such as negative reactions to the anesthesia, poor blood flow, and delayed wound healing, among other adverse effects.
- Make plans for someone to drive you to and from the surgical facility. Since your procedure(s) will likely utilize general anesthesia, it’s necessary to arrange a ride while the effects of the anesthesia wear off.
- Set up a room or area of your home to rest during your recovery. Before your surgery, it can often be helpful to prepare a room/space where you can peacefully recover during the healing process. If you have a recliner or adjustable bed, this can be ideal for improving blood flow after certain procedures — such as recovery following a tummy tuck, which is typically aided by resting with the knees at a slight bend and the head mildly elevated.
- Stop taking NSAIDs and anti-inflammatory medications. These supplements can increase bleeding after your procedure if they’re taken before surgery.
Depending on your medical history, you may also be asked to undergo routine lab testing or medical evaluations prior to surgery. These pre-operative measures are designed to confirm whether you’re a good candidate to safely achieve your goals with a Mommy Makeover.
WHAT DOES A MOMMY MAKEOVER CONSIST OF?
There are a variety of aesthetic enhancement procedures offered by our experienced plastic surgeon that can reverse these effects and renew your body and skin. Some of the most common treatments included in a Mommy Makeover are:
After pregnancy, women may lose volume in the breasts, causing them to appear smaller. Breast augmentation can effectively address this by adding fullness and new contour to the breasts with saline or silicone gel breast implants. With breast augmentation, you can restore lost volume and enhance the breasts for a fuller, more sensual appearance.
The breasts can take on a sagging appearance after pregnancy and/or breastfeeding, losing their “perkiness” and giving off a more aged look. Breast lift surgery can correct this by removing excess skin and lifting the breasts to a higher position, making them look more firm, smooth, and youthful.
Pregnancy and child-rearing can ultimately result in excess fat deposits appearing in a variety of body areas. These pockets of fat can often be hard to eliminate through diet and exercise alone. Liposuction can remove excess fat in the abdominal region, love handles, hips, and other areas.
TUMMY TUCK (ABDOMINOPLASTY)
The abdomen is obviously the most noticeable physical change before and after delivery. During pregnancy the muscles in the abdomen are pulled apart, and sometimes permanently separated. Dr. Jon Paul Trevisani can give you a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) as part of a Mommy Makeover that can pull these muscles taut, remove excess skin, and give you a tighter, firmer abdominal area.
INJECTABLE FACIAL REJUVENATION
With the physical rigors of pregnancy and raising children, you may experience some changes in your facial aesthetic as well. The formation of extra lines, wrinkles, and creases may give you a tired, stressed appearance that can make you look older than you really are. Injectable facial rejuvenation treatments such as BOTOX® Cosmetic or Dysport® injections can smooth out signs of age and stress or add volume to facial features such as the lips and cheeks.
WHAT SHOULD I EXPECT FROM MOMMY MAKEOVER RECOVERY?
The Mommy Makeover recovery process will depend on the number and type of procedures you decide to undergo, and whether you have the procedures performed in tandem or staged over a series of visits to our practice. More invasive procedures such as tummy tuck surgery or a breast lift can require a recovery period of at least one to three weeks, while less invasive options such as injectable facial rejuvenation typically involve much shorter periods of downtime. Dr. Jon Paul Trevisani will go over all aspects of the surgery and recovery process with you as you consider which procedures you would like to have as part of your Mommy Makeover.
MOMMY MAKEOVER RECOVERY TIPS
Like all surgical procedures, a Mommy Makeover will require a period of downtime to facilitate proper healing of your new body contours. Dr. Jon Paul Trevisani has outlined a few tips that can help mothers prepare for their upcoming treatment and increase the likelihood of a smooth and accelerated recovery process:
- Arrange for a friend or loved one to help you around the house for the first few days after surgery. Since your mobility will likely be limited, having someone there to assist you in household tasks can give you the opportunity to rest following your operation.
- Plan for childcare assistance during the first week after surgery. As some activities can be disruptive to your healing process, it can be invaluable to have someone handle responsibilities such as pick-ups and drop-offs, child supervision, and other activities that involve driving, heavy lifting, or exhausting physical activity.
- Wear surgical bras, compression bandages, and any other post-operative garb according to Dr. Jon Paul Trevisani’s instructions. These garments can help minimize swelling, reduce stress on the incisions, and diminish the likelihood of complications.
- Get plenty of rest. This is critical to your recovery period, as well as achieving an optimal final outcome. Do not try to rush your healing process, and refrain from exercise and strenuous energy exertion until Dr. Jon Paul Trevisani clears such activities.
Always contact Dr. Jon Paul Trevisani if you experience any unusual symptoms, such as shortness of breath, dizziness, nausea, fever, or excessive bleeding. These reactions can be an indication that further medical attention is necessary, so please reach out if you have any concerns.
How Long Do Mommy Makeover Results Last?
The outcome of a Mommy Makeover should remain stable as long as patients maintain their weight and engage in an active lifestyle. The biggest deterrents to long-lasting surgical results include pregnancy, breastfeeding, and significant weight gain, as these factors have the potential to re-stretch the skin and musculature. That said, your new body contours should endure for years — or even decades — with proper care. Cosmetic surgery cannot stop the natural aging process, but most women enjoy the rejuvenation from their Mommy Makeover for the long-term future.
WHAT WILL THE SCARS FROM MY MOMMY MAKEOVER LOOK LIKE?
Any visible post-operative scarring will resemble the incisions used during each respective procedure. For example, liposuction incisions are typically very tiny and inconspicuous, appearing near the region that was treated for fat reduction. A tummy tuck scar will likely appear very low on the pubis, extending from hip to hip. It is usually well-hidden by underwear or a bikini bottom. Post-surgical marks from breast surgery often appear either in a “donut-shape” around the areola, in a “lollipop-shaped” fashion around the areola and down towards the breast crease, or in an “anchor-shape” encircling the areola and across the inframammary fold. This will be dependent on which breast surgery was performed, as well as the extent of your concerns. In some cases of breast augmentation, incisions are placed within the natural creases of the underarm, offering the utmost discretion.
In any case, Dr. Jon Paul Trevisani takes every measure to camouflage incisions within the natural contours of the body whenever possible for minimized visible scarring. Many patients find their scars fade to some degree over time after healing is complete.
When is the Best Time for a Mommy Makeover?
Contrary to the belief that a Mommy Makeover can restore your pre-baby appearance immediately after giving birth, it is recommended to wait at least six months to one year after pregnancy before pursuing a Mommy Makeover. Having a child can take a substantial toll on the body, and it is essential to your health and safety to allow the appropriate amount of healing time before going through the physical demands of surgery. Plus, it often takes time for changes in the breasts and abdomen to settle after the body has undergone childbirth. Most patients find it helpful to wait until after the initial stages of caring for a newborn are over before taking on the energy and downtime required by a Mommy Makeover. Dr. Jon Paul Trevisani can personally advise you on the best time to develop your treatment plan based on your unique needs.
HOW MUCH DOES A MOMMY MAKEOVER COST?
Your Mommy Makeover expenses will depend on a number of factors unique to your personal treatment plan, including:
- Which procedures make up your Mommy Makeover
- The extent of your aesthetic concerns
- Whether breast implants were utilized as part of your treatment
- The surgical techniques employed during each procedure
Because this customizable series of treatments is personalized for each patient’s unique needs, the price of a Mommy Makeover is different for every individual. As it is designed to address multiple aesthetic concerns at once, undergoing a comprehensive Mommy Makeover is typically more economical and less time-consuming than pursuing each individual procedure separately. Once Dr. Jon Paul Trevisani has an opportunity to assess your needs and cosmetic goals in a consultation, our office will be able to provide you with a personalized quote of your Mommy Makeover costs.
Our practice offers a number of flexible payment options, including plastic surgery financing through CareCredit®. This leading healthcare lending company offers a way to make treatment more affordable by presenting qualified applicants with a range of low- to no-interest payment plans that can be chosen to suit one’s budgetary concerns. For additional questions about the cost of a Mommy Makeover, please don’t hesitate to reach out to our practice and speak with a member of our team.
Choosing a Top Mommy Makeover Surgeon
A Mommy Makeover is an extensive treatment plan that should only be pursued if patients are under the care of a physician who specializes in cosmetic surgery. Therefore, those interested in a Mommy Makeover should ideally select a plastic surgeon who has been accredited by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. While general plastic surgeons do not necessarily specialize in cosmetic procedures, individuals who are certified by the ABPS have undergone comprehensive post-graduate training in aesthetic plastic surgery exclusively. This can give patients the confidence of knowing their Mommy Makeover is being performed by a plastic surgeon who has specialized experience in breast augmentation, tummy tuck surgery, mastopexy, and other cosmetic procedures.
Dr. Jon Paul Trevisani can restore your body contours, refresh your skin, and help you attain your aesthetic goals after pregnancy and child-rearing. Please contact the Aesthetic Surgery Centre to schedule a consultation for Mommy Makeover.