Which Fat Reduction Treatment is Right For Me?
If your cosmetic goals include smoothing bulges of excess fat, body contouring can be a highly effective technique to achieve your desired physique. Liposuction surgery and CoolSculpting® are two of the most popular body contouring treatments available, and the best fat removal procedure for your concerns typically depends on several factors:
- Volume of fat removal desired: As a non-surgical treatment that uses controlled-cooling to eliminate fat cells, CoolSculpting® is designed to remove 20 to 30 percent of fat in a given area. In contrast, liposuction is a surgeon-controlled procedure capable of extracting up to 80 percent of accumulated fat.
- Timing: While liposuction can offer noticeable results almost immediately after surgery, CoolSculpting® breaks down fat over a period of several months. Therefore, patients who seek a more instantaneous outcome from treatment may be better served with liposuction.
- Location of concerns: CoolSculpting® generally doesn’t allow as much flexibility in the location—as well as the number—of treatable concerns when compared to liposuction. In turn, the fat-freezing technique often works best when addressing fat in select regions of the body, as well as when targeting fewer treatment areas.
- Distribution of fat: If the fat in a given region is distributed unevenly, treatment with a surgeon-controlled procedure like liposuction is often preferred to yield a natural-looking result.
- Recovery: While liposuction typically requires a mild recovery period, patients can return to their daily routine immediately after their CoolSculpting® session. Assessing whether you are willing to accommodate a period of downtime can help determine which treatment is the most ideal technique for your concerns.
Ultimately, a consultation with Dr. Jon Paul Trevisani, our Orlando plastic surgeon, can reveal the most beneficial procedure for your aesthetic goals. Whether you wish to pursue surgical or non-surgical methods of fat removal, the body sculpting options from Dr. Jon Paul Trevisani can remove isolated fatty deposits in the abdomen, flanks, thighs, upper arms, and back, among other regions of the body for a slimmer, leaner contour in the treated areas.